Friday, April 1, 2011

Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee, Revisited

I posted this on my Cuppa Fog Blog last year, but with this gorgeous weather we've been having the past few days in the Bay Area, I feel the need to revisit it.

Iced coffee can be hit or miss. I'm very particular about my coffee, as many of you know. So coming across this recipe for cold-brewed iced coffee was exciting for me. Any time I brewed it hot and then tried to chill it, it came out tasting bitter and, well, just gross. This technique allows all the lovely flavor of the beans to stay in the coffee, so you don't have that problem. Plus, brewing it as a concentrate means that you can add as much water or milk as you want, or use it for other tasty frozen treats, like popsicles or granita. And it stays good for up to 2 weeks in the fridge (not that mine lasts that long).

This recipe is originally from the article at the SF Chronicle, but I adjusted it to make less than theirs - a pound of coffee at a time is just too much for me, when our weather could change at any minute!

So, the basic recipe.
Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee

Combine 1 pound coffee, coarse-ground, with 10 cups cold water (or my version, 9 tablespoons ground coffee with 3 cups cold water)

Let steep for 12 hours. Strain. (I put mine in a french press, but whatever works, as long as it's a non-reactive vessel.) Refrigerate (stays good for 2 weeks).

To serve: add equal parts milk or water to concentrate. Sweeten to taste. (I usually start with less water and/or milk than equal part, and add to taste with my sweetener).

And that's it! Experiment from there and see what you like!

There are more yummy-looking recipes at the end of the SF Chronicle article (pages 2 and 3), and the granita I tried last year is on page 3. Very tasty, and super easy! Next time I'd probably add some coffee liqueur for added sparkle. Enjoy, and let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment